You Can’t Fool Mother Nature but You Can Understand Her
James Urban, FASLA, noted soil and tree expert, recently gave his talk, You Cannot Fool Mother Nature but You Can Understand Her, at the Arsenal in New York City. Urban is a prolific writer and lecturer on the subject of tree planting and the conditions needed to improve tree performance in urban environments. Urban focused his talk on ”eight simple ideas,” all basic steps to yield more productive growth in urban trees. The ideas were driven home by a slideshow containing images from his recent award-winning planting guide and bookshelf mainstay, Up By Roots: Healthy Soils and Trees in the Built Environment. It was refreshing to know that the lecture did not fall on deaf ears as heads of the NYC Parks Department, the ASLA NY Chapter, and New York Restoration Project were all in attendance. If anyone needs to hear Urban’s talk, it would be them.
Learn more: http://dirt.asla.org
- 'Smart growth' strategies curb car use, greenhouse gas emissions: study
- Tracking A City’s Emissions, Building by Building (Computer Simulation)
- Urban Trees: Let’s Grow Old Together
- Primeval Forest (video)
- Environment in a Day! Your Earth Day moment to shine!
- Earth Day 2012: Look Beneath the Surface (video)
- Maryland DNR Forest Service Announces Online Public Meeting (download)
- The secret life of plankton (video)
- Most Beautiful National Parks Seen From Space (picture and video)
- Travel to the Amazon with “Street View”March 23, 2012 (video)